Saturday, April 25, 2009



So we are thinking about getting a new dog. Our very special Daisy passed away almost a year ago. She was our baby before our babies...You know what I mean. Now we are thinking about getting a new dog and all I want to do is find other rat terriers. Is this the best dog for our family? Although Daisy was our baby she probably wasn't the best for the kids. She was super high energy, very smart, and would snuggle but she did not like the kids to take her toys or food and snapped at the kids. Her time was just right but I sure do miss her. Sometimes I still see her in my peripheral vision and then notice it was a shoe (or something else). Time heals all but if you have recently lost a dog, DO NOT SEE Marley and Me...it is too much! I'd love to hear from you regarding the best dog for families. I would like a dog that would not dare to snap at a kid and doesn't shed. Please share!

6 comments:

Marie said...

I'm sorry about your loss :(

What size dog are you looking for?

We are having a similar hunt and a Basset Hound is very high on the list and probably what we will be adding to our family here this summer!



Boxers are extremely good with children, don't let their size or looks fool you, most boxers are big ole babies! (we just don't have room for another boxer :( but they are great dogs )

Danielle said...

I love my beagle/lab mix. He's so mild mannered! EIther of those two breeds are very chilled out. Also, my mom has a west highland white terrier and while slightly hyper, they also make for a great family dog.

Good luck in your pup search, once you have one, you just can't live without them!

Jac Landa Photography said...

Spencer, our doberman is very good with the kids - he lets them do what ever they want to him. You might remember that he was a rescue and even that first day home he showed no toy or food aggression. Our last doberman was the same way! They are high energy though.

Also, a Portuguese Water Dog is a GREAT breed and they don't shed. That is what was number 1 for my choice of breed this last time (doberman being second); but they are very expensive and none came up needing rescue.

Love these pictures BTW!

deb thompson said...

I'm so sorry about your loss. Good luck in your search. My aunt raises malti-poo's, they are small dogs and just so cute!

Don't forget to check your local animal shelter. There are many dogs looking for a new home.

Jane Photo said...

Yes, best of luck.

Images by Karen said...

We just got a black lab, yes they are slightly larger than a rat terrier, but they are great dogs. she loves everybody and is so very smart. We also watched Marley and me and as soon as it was over (after the tears) my husband said "you we just set ourselves up for this in about 10 -12 years".

Post a Comment